Estate Planning Isn’t Just For The Elderly

Smiling childing with special needs on his mother's back in the forrest.

Planning For A Loved One With Special Needs

You have been caring for a disabled child, friend or family member for as long as you remember. From time to time, you have wondered: “What happens to my disabled loved one when I’m gone?”

Certainly it is understandable — and very wise of you — to think of such things. But you don’t have to become stuck in your wondering and worrying. We can guide you through all of the issues and options available when planning for a person with a disability.

We are the experienced Westchester, New York, special needs planning attorneys at Enea, Scanlan & Sirignano, LLP. Protect your disabled loved ones and their futures by calling us now: 914-269-2367. We have been guiding clients who have special needs family members through the complex world of special needs trust planning for decades.

Guiding Clients For Decades

Some of the estate planning instruments especially designed to meet the needs of those special needs family members include supplemental needs trusts, also known as special needs trusts (SNT). These trusts are used to set aside assets from parents, grandparents or the proceeds of a legal settlement, to help the disabled individual while not impacting the disabled person’s eligibility for any federal and/or state benefits.

These trusts are designed to provide a wide array of needs, from necessities to comforts to luxuries. There are different types of SNTs — including first party special needs trusts and third-party special needs trusts — and also different ways to fund these types of trusts.

In addition to discussing how these trusts may be used in your situation, our experienced lawyers can also advise you on the federal and state government benefits that may be available to a disabled person, such as Medicaid, Social Security Disability (SSD) and Supplemental Social Security Income (SSI).

What Happens To Your Disabled Family Member When You’re Gone?

Just how will your family member be cared for? We can tell you how. We are the experienced special needs planning lawyers at Enea, Scanlan & Sirignano, LLP. To schedule your consultation, call us today at 914-269-2367. Or if you prefer, you may complete this online form. With offices in White Plains and Somers, New York, we serve the greater Westchester County area.

Enea, Scanlan & Sirignano, LLP