Estate Planning Isn’t Just For The Elderly

Happy, smiling couple in their sixties.

How can you select a guardian for your minor children?

On Behalf of | Nov 28, 2023 | Blog, Estate Planning

Every parent understands the profound responsibility that comes with raising children. While no one wants to dwell on worst-case scenarios, it is important to plan for the unexpected.

One aspect of this planning involves choosing a guardian for your children in case you and your spouse cannot care for them. Although this is a big decision, several factors can help you make a confident guardianship choice.

Consider values and beliefs

According to the New York Courts, guardianship is an arrangement dictated by the court where one person receives the legal right to make decisions for another person. When selecting a guardian, consider values and beliefs. Think about your parenting style, religious beliefs and moral values. Choose someone who aligns with your principles, ensuring a smooth transition for your children.

Evaluate Emotional and physical capacity

Guardianship is not just about providing financially; emotional and physical capacity matter, too. Assess whether potential guardians have the time, energy and emotional resilience to care for your children.

Assess stability and reliability

Consider the prospective guardian’s financial situation, stability in their personal life and overall reliability. A steady and dependable environment contributes to a child’s sense of security.

Communicate openly with potential guardians

Talk to the individuals you want to consider as guardians. Discuss your expectations, values and desires for your children’s upbringing. Ensure they are willing to take on this responsibility and are comfortable with the commitment.

Involve extended family in the decision

In many families, the decision regarding guardianship is a collective one. Involve extended family members in the discussion, as they may offer valuable insights and support.

Remember that your choice of guardian does not have to remain permanent. If circumstances change or you change your mind, you can update your documents to select a new guardian for your children.