Most Americans who are ready to move into a long-term care facility need help selecting an appropriate one. If you’re reading this article, you’re probably one of the “helpers.” You might be a son or daughter, who is trying to select the best facility for an aged parent. Maybe you’re a parent, choosing a facility for an incapacitated son or daughter.
Regardless the “who” and “why,” you’re going to want to consider your options carefully. The checklist can help you consider your options as thoroughly as possible. With each long-term care facility, you look at, make sure you answer the following questions.
Long-term care questions to ask
- Does the facility take Medicaid and Medicare? If the facility doesn’t take Medicaid and Medicare, you may have difficulty paying for its services.
- Were any problems listed in the facility’s last inspection? Ask for a copy of the latest inspection results when you visit the facility. The facility is legally obligated to share it with you.
- Does the facility meet the unique needs of your loved one? Make a list of the unique requirements of your loved one and ensure that the facility can tend to all of his or her needs.
- Is the facility licensed? You would be surprised how many long-term care facilities are operating without a license. Would-be residents should avoid these locations.
- Are people living there being treated with respect?
- Is it odor free and clean? Don’t be shy to check throughout the entire facility for cleanliness.
- Do other residents and their family members have an opinion to share?
- Does an ombudsman regularly visit the facility?
Get help from a long-term care lawyer
A long-term care lawyer can help you plan for the day when you or a loved one may become incapacitated or require long-term care. These attorneys can make recommendations of high quality care facilities with good reputations that are known to provide excellent services. Your lawyer can also help create the necessary legal paperwork to ensure that you or your loved one’s transition into long-term care goes as smoothly as possible.