If you live in or around White Plains, you know that there are multiple nursing home facilities in the area. While they appear similar on the surface, as you dig deeper you’ll find that each facility is unique in its own way.
Choosing a nursing home for yourself or a loved one is a difficult task, as this won’t be the only thing on your mind. However, if you neglect to make an informed decision, it could come back to haunt you in the long run.
Here are five tips for choosing the right nursing home:
- Get started early, if possible: Don’t start searching for a nursing home when the time comes to make the transition. Instead, focus your attention on this prior to the need arising, as it will make for a more efficient transition for all parties.
- Consider what’s most important: Maybe you’re most interested in a nursing home located in close proximity to loved ones. Or maybe there’s nothing more important to you than the activities provided by the facility. With a list of must-haves, it becomes easier to narrow your focus.
- Visit in person: You can learn a lot about nursing homes online and by calling on the phone, but there’s no replacement for what you see and experience in person. It only takes a few minutes to get a better feel for what a facility has to offer.
- Ask questions: During your visit, don’t be shy about asking the staff questions. How many residents live in the facility? Who is the food service provider? What types of activities are available? What’s the staff to patient ratio? Asking these questions will help clear your mind.
- Learn more about the costs: Not only should you determine how much nursing home care will cost, but it’s also important to turn your attention to the best ways to pay. From Medicaid to personal savings, many options are available.
When you follow these tips, you’ll feel more confident in your ability to choose the right nursing home for yourself or a loved one. Combine this with the assistance of an elder law attorney, and you’ll have everything in order.
Visit our website for more information on planning for nursing home care and related subject matter.