As difficult as it may be, there could come a time when you have to help a loved one choose a nursing home. Regardless of where you live, there's a good chance you have a few options in the area.
While it's easy to assume that all nursing homes have a lot to offer residents, this isn't the case across the board. You need to understand what it takes to find the perfect nursing home for your loved one.
- Read reviews. You should start by reading online reviews, as this will give you a clear idea of what others think of the nursing home. If every review is positive, you're on the right track. However, if the majority of reviews are negative, you need to learn more.
- What does the food look like? This is an important question to answer, as you want to make sure your loved one is getting the proper level of nutrition. Don't be shy about asking the nursing home for more information on the food, including daily options.
- How many people are on staff? You shouldn't assume that every nursing home has enough people on staff to properly care for all of its residents. You need to ask this question, and then dig around to better understand what each staff member is responsible for.
- Activities. You don't want your loved one to move into a nursing home, just to stay in bed all day. The best facilities have a variety of activities, ranging from bingo to local outings.
- Emergency response. Learn more about how the nursing home deals with emergency situations, such as if your loved one requires attention at a local hospital. You hope this never comes into play, but you want to learn as much as possible. This will give you peace of mind (or tell you that you need to find another facility).
Choosing a nursing home is easier said than done, as you're sure to have many questions on your mind.
As long as you compare several options, you should be able to help your loved one make an informed decision.
As you search for the best nursing home care, take the time to review your loved one's estate plan and current financial situation. This will give you a better idea of the steps you need to take.